The FlightGear flight simulator project is an open-source, multi-platform, cooperative flight simulator development project. Source code for the entire project is available and licensed under the GNU General Public License. With FlightGear it is possible to choose between three primary Flight Dynamics Models. It is possible to add new dynamics models or even interface to external “proprietary” flight dynamics models.
- JSBSim: JSBSim is a generic, 6DoF flight dynamics model for simulating the motion of flight vehicles.
- YASim: This FDM is an integrated part of FlightGear and uses a different approach than JSBSim by simulating the effect of the airflow on the different parts of an aircraft.
- UIUC: This FDM is based on LaRCsim originally written by the NASA. UIUC extends the code by allowing aircraft configuration files instead and by adding code for simulation of aircraft under icing conditions
- File size: 230 MB
- High degree of Freedom
- Flight Dynamics Models
- Extensive and Accurate World Scenery Data Base
- Accurate and Detailed Sky Model
- Flexible and Open Aircraft Modeling System
- Moderate Hardware Requirements
- Internal Properties EXPOSED!
- Networking options
- Download: FlightGear